Project: Contract numberLIDER/24/48/l-2/10/NCBiR/2011
Title of the project: The study of an innovative biopreparation for the optimisation of the organic waste methane fermentation process
Project duration: 2011-2014
The purpose of the project:
The aim of the project is the development of an innovative and ecological biopreparation which can optimise the methane fermentation process, concerning fruit processing waste and dairy sewage sludge. It will also provide the maximising of high-methane biogas production, and the utilisation of post-fermentation sludge. In the scientific sphere, the project will increase the research competitiveness in the Institute, as it enables the cooperation between enterpreneurs and solving real problems.
Abstract of the project :
The launching of the methane fermentation process in a biogasworks, as well as the right microflora maintainance, in particular stages of the process is one of the most significant factor of its working. Microbial community involved in methane fermentation includes various microorganisms groups, that are nutritionally different, but in state of synergistic dependence. It seems a promising new technology to use biopreparations in order to create suitable conditions for methane fermentation and to increase biogas production, as well as biogas quality. However, it is necessary to improve the knowledge about the mechanisms of actions and interactions between these microorganisms within an ecosystem. The aim of the project is the development of an innovative and ecological biopreparation which can optimize the methane fermentation process, concerning fruit processing waste and dairy sewage sludge. It will also provide the maximizing of high-methane biogas production, and the utilization of post-fermentation sludge. The main objective will be achieved by particular goals:
- Possible substrates characterization for methane fermentation process and the estimation of biogas profitability
- The methane fermentation process conducting in a laboratory environment, with different substrates, in different conditions, with the use of bioreactors for the process optimization
- The determination of microbial consortium in the mass during fermentation process, using modern techniques of molecular biology
- The determination of the properties of microorganisms obtained or separated from fermentation mass
- Selecting and matching of the desired microorganisms strains in order to develop an effective biopreparation which can eliminate the breaking of fermentation process
- The assessment of the biopreparation impact on the methane fermentation process
- The obtained biogas composition analysis
- Recommendation for the post-fermentation sludge utilization.
The aim of the project is included in the domain of Science Development Strategy in Poland for the year 2015 and also in the objectives of science, technology and innovation Poland’s policies till the year 2020. These concern the support for process and product innovations, and also the transfer development of progressive solutions from science to economy.